Sunday, January 20, 2008

I Heart Barbie...and I Moved Across the Country for Her

I am now a resident of California. Hermosa Beach if you want to get technical about it which is approximately 2400 miles from my previous residence and the area where I grew up, Chicago. I moved here for a job. I moved here to design Barbie. Yes, that Barbie. Come January 28th I will be employed by Mattel working on the fantasy and reality division of the Barbie products (fantasy: fairies and princesses, reality: dream house and Corvette), every boys dream.
While the job seems lovely, the transition is going to be a tough one as the closest person I know is 400 miles away. Needless to say, I'm a bit nervous about it, but that may be because I'm sitting on the floor of a mostly barren apartment awaiting the arrival of my possessions (1-2 days away). However, there are some pluses that I can already see: I live a 3 minute walk from the beach, it is always sunny and 70 degrees here, and people call me "boss" (i.e. "Can I help you boss?"), which gives me a feeling of empowerment.
Regardless of the nerves, I'm excited to see what happens. I'll keep this blog and therefore the reader informed of my progress through southern California ("So Cal" to the locals) or any other adventures I may have (or had).

Til Next Time.

P.S. Favorite quote so far: "Do you guys get DUI's here? We get them in San Diego" - Inquisitive Girl Walking out of Bar

1 comment:

Brandon Till said...

Blogzarko polo. I'm looking forward to your misadventures. Avoid those DUI's.