Thursday, January 31, 2008

I may not be the Top 100 in anything...but my company is.

This was my first week at Mattel and during my orientation on Monday morning I learned of two interesting things: Mattel was named one of "Fortune's Top 100 Companies to Work For" and to celebrate they were giving everyone the day off on Friday. So, my first work week is an abbreviated one which is cool with me.
The interesting thing about the Top 100 thing is the excitement around the company. Having not been in a corporate atmosphere before I wasn't ready for the pom-pom's, the cupcakes (I ate two) and punch (I had two glasses), the balloons, the pins, or the complimentary hats (which I forgot to pick up).
The fact that these things exist means that it is someones job to decide what is an appropriate celebration for such an occasion. For some reason I imagine a Franc-Like Guy (from Father of the Bride) walking around the office with an administrative assistant steps behind jotting down his every word. I imagine this guy waving his arms around talking about ice sculptures, rose petal walkways, and valet parking for Segways. He goes on and on about champagne flutes, fine cheeses, and celebrity raffles (nobody knows exactly what that is). His assistant writes down his suggestions of flame eaters, ice dancers, and hot air balloons. This goes on for hours as he demands live tigers, a hydroponic garden hanging from the ceiling, and a space shuttle launch (which gives him the idea of zero gravity dancing, but even he has limits). Finally he finishes his list with model trains big enough to ride, cities small enough to crush, and porridge that's just the right temperature.
And after all of that someone breaks it to him, "Franc-Like Guy, we only have $99.83 in the budget." So Franc-Like Guy responds, "Screw it, hang some balloons, give 'em pom-pom's and hats, and feed 'em punch and cupcakes...they'll love it."
And they did.

Til next time.

P.S. The most common phrase heard in a Barbie design review meeting: "That is sooooo cute!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally boss tale you just wove!

Tracy said...

I am really enjoying hearing about your daily adventures. I miss you and hope you are happy out there.