Monday, May 5, 2008

Don't Believe Everything You Read...Unless it is a Clearly Posted Warning

This past weekend a couple of friends came to visit from Chicago. They flew in on Thursday night and left on Sunday afternoon which gave us practically 3 days for activities. It might be interesting to you then that my favorite part of the weekend involved a shady novelty store along the "Walk of Fame" and a certain loose rodent.
I'm not sure exactly what this store sold but it is a safe bet that it was 1 of 3 things: electronics, vintage clothing, or drag queen attire (at least that's what I took it to be). I do know, however, that there was a squirrel inside this particular store. Why? Because on the door there was a sign held on by a solitary piece of scotch tape with the following written in black marker:

"Squirrel in store!"

Notice the exclamation point. This store owner was not only telling/warning you about the loose squirrel in their store, they were screaming it from the mountain tops!
This sign on the door is where my knowledge of the subject stops, but it raises a few questions for me. First, was this a prank? If so, was it the owner of this store that put up the sign or was it the owner of the store across the street that tried to dissuade patrons from that store into their own? Secondly, if it wasn't a prank, why not call animal control or make some other attempt to let the animal free (i.e. trail of popcorn)? Lastly, at what point do you give up trying to get the squirrel out of your store and say, "Eh, just put a sign up," as to try and limit liability when somebody contracts rabies while searching for that perfect vintage jacket? These questions and countless others go unanswered.
Regardless, we didn't enter the store, but one of my friends did mention the possibility that it could be a caged squirrel on exhibit and the sign was to attract costumers not detract costumers. Yes, that is certainly a possibility but I have to imagine that if you can afford a squirrel exhibit, you can afford a better sign to advertise such things.

Til Next Time

P.S. Happy Cinco De Mayo! I had taquitos for lunch.

States: 26
Countries: 8

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I had visitors from Chicago.
There was a squirrel in a store.
A sign told me so.
I don't know why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me more jb

Anonymous said...

ditto - I need a good laugh!