Monday, April 28, 2008

K-Clubbin'...It's the Hip Thing to do in K-Town!

I have a friend at work, a fellow engineer, who happens to be Korean. He was the guy who braved the elements of mild weather to help find me a suitable surf board. This past Saturday, he drove down to my place and we went surfing.
After an exhausting afternoon he made the following offer:

"Do you want to go to Korea Town for some Korean Bar-B-Q?"

It goes without saying that I accepted the offer and soon we were grilling "all you can eat meat" at our table. After an hour of constant eating in Korea Town (K-Town to the locals) we paid the tab and were on our way.
As we were driving my friend pointed at a club looking place and said, "That's a Korean club." So I asked a seemingly ignorant question, "What's so Korean about it?" Little did I know that Korean Clubbing (K-Clubbin' to the locals) is actually a very different club scene.
Now, I'm no clubbing expert (I don't know if I've officially ever been to one actually) but here's what I would do in a normal situation: I would go to the club, I would get drunk, I would make a fool of myself, maybe talk to a couple of girls and therefore scare them away, I would go home (not necessarily in that order). Seems like a pleasant evening.
Here's what would happen if I went K-Clubbin': I would first make reservations for the appropriate number in my party, I would then go to the club with a group of dudes (most likely Korean), we would order a couple of bottles of liquor (probably whiskey), and if we felt so inclined we would ask to be "booked."
Booked? Yes, "booked." Let me elaborate, in a K-Club, there are normally tables of dudes and tables of girls and these tables are mixed amongst each other. The wait staff at these establishments are assigned to a number of dude tables as well as some girl tables. So, if I were to say, "Excuse me fine sir, I would like to get booked," the waiter would then consult his log of tables of girls who have also agreed to get booked. The waiter would then talk to one of these girls, bring her over to me, and introduce her. She would then sit down for some friendly conversation and I am then obligated to give her some of the alcohol that me and my dude friends bought earlier. Let me take this opportunity to clarify something: these girls are just girls that are also attending the club that night. They are not in anyway hired, like some of you may be thinking.
Anyway, it's at this point that the K-Club experience and the normal club experience would probably converge for me. I'm sure I would say something that would scare her off and I'd probably have a good laugh at it, and that's all good. It's ok though because I'm K-Clubbin'. All I need to do if just flag down the waiter again and inform him politely, "I'd like to get booked...again."
Now, I haven't been K-Clubbin' yet, so this is all word of mouth but I need to see for myself how this system works. Who knew social situations could be so structured.
So, I ask you dear readers, "Who wants to get booked?"

Til Next Time

P.S. Do you watch the television series "Weeds?" Me neither, but I've heard of it and I've heard it's funny. Regardless, they were filming an episode on my jogging route this evening. Again, however, I regretfully report that I didn't not see any celebrities.

States: 26
Countries: 7

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I like Korean barbecue.
Clubbing in Korea town is called K-Clubbin'.
If you go K-Clubbin' you can elect to get booked.
Who wants to get booked?

1 comment:

Brandon Till said...

k-Clubbin huh? I think you need to go check it out in person, because to me it sounds like a way for trannys to get "booked."