Monday, July 28, 2008

2 Girls...No Self Respect

For those of you who know me, you know that I am a fan of the cinema (to sound as snobbish as possible). For those of you who know me best, you know that one of the most common phrases that I may utter is, "No, I haven't seen that yet. I keep meaning to."
This isn't to say that I don't watch movies, because I do (at least 2 a week). What it does say is that I evidently don't watch any movies that other people have interest in (to continue to sound as snobbish as possible).
This isn't because I don't have interest in the blockbusters (I've seen The Dark Knight) or the Oscar contenders (I've seen The Lord of the Rings...a lot...it's awesome), I just enjoy sifting through weird, extreme, violent, gorey, disturbing, and generally bad movies in hopes of finding that hidden gem. The vast majority of these movies are absolutely terrible (Snowbeast) with the occasional film being completely unwatchable (Malibu Beach Vampires), but the draw here is their pop culture significance (or lack there of). Where would The Blair Witch Project be if there was no Cannibal Holocaust? Where would the aforementioned Lord of the Rings be without Meet the Feebles or Dead Alive? Where would Oldboy (or Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance or Lady Vengeance) be without the numerous revenge movies of the 1970's (Last House on the Left, I Spit on Your Grave)?
So, when I heard some time ago that there was a video circulating the internet that was both a pop culture phenomenon PLUS it was "the most disgusting video ever seen," I admit that my curiosity got the best of me.
Yes, I have seen "2 Girls 1 Cup," and no I didn't enjoy it, but that's OK. I'm used to the notion that the movies (Note: I understand that a video clip on the internet does not count as a movie) I watch are generally not enjoyable. I accept that. Like I mentioned before, it's the pop culture relevance that I am interested in (plus I don't like being left out).
A strange thing happened with this particular video though. Its relevance was solidified with the invention of "The Reaction Video." These are videos of people who set up their webcam to record themselves as they watch a disgusting and ultimately vile video. For those that cannot or will not watch the actual disturbing video, these reaction videos give you an idea of how other people deal with it (plus it lets your imagination run absolutely wild with the most disgusting things you can ever conceive). These reaction videos are wildly popular as they range from teenagers, to grandmas, to sorority girls, to celebrities, etc.
It was only a natural step then that a couple friends of mine would record their own reaction video to "2 Girls 1 Cup."
Then they felt (against better judgment) that they should record numerous other reactions to videos including:
4 Girls Finger Paint
2 Girls 1 Finger
8 Girls No Cup
and finally, Mousetrap.
So, in the name of pop culture relevance, I hope you appreciate the attempt to be part of a vile, disgusting, downright disturbing, internet phenomena.

Til Next Time

P.S. Yes, I have a puppet. His name is Geoffrey Bananza. He is a compulsive liar and at times very difficult to deal with.

States: 29
Countries: 12

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I like disgusting movies simple because they exist.
2 Girls 1 Cup is a pop culture phenomena.
So are the reaction videos that resulted.
My friends made some videos.

3 comments:

Hola.Migas said...

Thank goodness you're back! Blogger ain't the same without your pots.

Hola.Migas said...

Haha. I meant "posts".

ebee said...

for someone who does not like referential humor, you sure do make a lot a references.