Thursday, July 31, 2008

Earthquakes...They're Real!

This past Tuesday I was invited to a luncheon to celebrate a fellow engineer's 30th anniversary at Mattel. I felt honored, for I was going to get a free lunch. But, as they say, "There is no such thing as a free lunch," and "they" couldn't have been more right. My life was in danger.
Just after we all finally sat down and started to settle in, anticipating a delicious Mexican meal, the Earth started to shake.
Let me repeat that, "The Earth started to shake."
I understand that the world is a little desensitized to the concept, but if you think of it in the terms that I just mentioned, it is a pretty unsettling notion.
Yes, it was my first earthquake. No, I didn't freak out. Yes, I ate a lot of Mexican food after it calmed down, but in the days afterwards I started to realize the grander scope of what happened: "The Earth started to shake!"
It's a strange thing when you can't even trust the ground you walk on. It feels like Mother Nature is pissed and wants you off the planet. "Fine," I say, "I'll go to Mars. She'll appreciate me. She'll love me more!" Sigh.
Anywho, it was a magnitude of 5.4 and the important thing is that nobody got hurt, and that I ate a lot of Mexican food (but mostly that nobody got hurt)...did I mention the Mexican food?
I like eating.

Til Next Time

P.S. People at work were really surprised that it was my first earthquake. Turns out, though, that the Midwest had an earthquake a month after I moved away. I was jealous. Now I'm in the club.

States: 29
Countries: 12

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
Some people work in one place for a long time.
I experienced my first earthquake
It was a 5.4
I like Mexican food.

No comments: