Monday, April 21, 2008

Stop Bugging Me...Said the Annoyed Cockroach

As I may have mentioned before, my apartment is owned and operated by a church. My apartment building resides quite obediently in the dunce's corner of said church's parking lot. There is at least one pro to this situation: lots of parking, but there are certainly cons as well: lots of local parking on drunken nights (Thurs.-Sat.).
One con that may not coming instantly to mind is this: there are always people around my apartment in the mornings. These people aren't residents of the apartment building like some of you might be thinking, they are just people who for one reason or another decided to park in the church's parking lot. Take the construction workers across the street for instance, they all gather 'round their trucks and drink their morning coffee and love to make a lot of noise (mostly in Spanish). Take the little old lady cleaning up the parking lot, she is doing a good deed (surely as a volunteer since she wasn't wearing a bright orange jumpsuit) yet she seems very upset and quite surly. Perhaps that's because of the young punks that are skating on the other end of the parking lot, shouldn't they be in school by now? Stupid punks.
So you get the idea: there is a wide variety of people that I see in the mornings. This morning, though, I was a bit taken aback by what I emerged to see. Just as I opened my door to leave for the morning I came face to face with an exterminator. Yep, a real honest to goodness exterminator. I said a "Good Morning," he reciprocated and as I got into my car I thought to myself, "Ah, the good church is taking precautions." You see, the exterminator was hard at work spraying the exterior of the building and that made me feel good...a landlord that cares. But that thought quickly faded and was replaced with, "What could have happened here to make an exterminator necessary?"
So my ride to work this morning (which was longer than usual, mind you) was filled with thoughts of gigantic ants and intergalactic roaches. I pictured huge space slugs sliming over all of my things and eating all that is made of paper. The spiders that scurried about in my head weren't really spiders. You see, normal spiders have eight legs, mine had 15 and were the size of small eco-friendly hybrid automobiles. The kind of nightmarish visuals that I conjured up this morning only belong in movies and the amazon (especially movies about the amazon). It was a hellish morning commute indeed.
Then, as I got a grip on reality, I flipped to the other side again thinking, "Regardless of what the infestation is or was, the good church has hired a helping hand. That's a positive thing." But, I couldn't help but think, "Good thing I live by a church because only god's exterminator would have a chance against the devil bugs that live under my apartment. Those horned creeps are tough and in a battle between holy bug spray and evil bugs, evil is bound to win. Evil just has too many legs."
But, at least they're fighting the good fight.

Til Next Time

P.S. Yes, I went surfing again this weekend. I'm not bleeding (at least not any more than I already was) and I did stand up on my board. Staying up, however, is a different thing.

States: 26
Countries: 6

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I live in a church parking lot.
The devil has sent his bug army.
Evil has too many legs
The church is fighting a good fight.

3 comments:

julie said...

thank you for telling the stories of your adventures and misadventures. i look forward to each new post. i always make an ass of myself and laugh out loud with no one around as i'm reading. i should make someone read with me so the laughing doesn't seem so maniacal.

Anonymous said...

your blog owns, jeff

Anonymous said...

so, like, do you get some cash for the surf shop and exterminator ads that google kindly includes?