Saturday, April 5, 2008

Volleyball...AKA "How I Plan to Look Awesome on the Beach"

When I moved to Southern California (So-Cal to the locals) in January there were two activities I told myself I would try. One was surfing, which still seems quite intimidating, and the other was beach volleyball. The entire time I've lived here I've told myself I would take steps towards these goals "as soon as I get back from India." Well, here I am, back from India.
You can imagine my excitement then when I had the following conversation with a friend at work:

Me: "I'm bored and I'm procrastinating."
Friend: "My friends and I are signing up for a volleyball class, wanna join us?"
Me: "Like, totally."

So, I did. For this particular class there are three levels of beach volleyball competence: beginner, intermediate, and advanced. My friend and her friends took it upon themselves to sign up for the intermediate level which made me a bit uneasy. Sure I've played a little ball in my day, some of which even took place on a beach, but people here take volleyball to a different level. I'm pretty sure (but don't quote me on this) that if a child can't serve a volleyball effectively by the age of three, the parents ship the kid to a colder climate (i.e. Montana or Canada) as to not embarrass the family. So the pressure was on.
This past Thursday was my first class and here's what I saw: a beginners class that looked surprised when someone held up a volleyball and told them quite accurately, "This is a volleyball," there was an advanced class that seemed quite comfortable on the court (read: they look awesome), and then there was the intermediate class. The intermediate class seemed split 30/70. Only about 30% could probably be described as intermediate volleyball players while the remaining 70% were only slightly less surprised when someone showed them what a volleyball looks like.
My point is, I think I made the right choice in choosing intermediate...being the natural athlete and all. And maybe I jumped to conclusions about how seriously volleyball is taken around here.

Til Next Time

States: 24
Countries: 5

P.S. I saw a license plate frame this morning that read, "My Other Car is an Enterprise Rental." To me, that doesn't make much financial sense.

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I moved here in January.
I want to surf and play volleyball.
People here disown their children who are horrible at volleyball.
I am a natural athlete.

No comments: