Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Yep, I'm New...I'm Still New

I'm still new enough at work (and the company is big enough) that it isn't uncommon for me to meet someone new on any given day. Today was one of those days. We did the whole introductory thing like normal people do (I have my half of the conversation down to a routine) but then she asked, "So, are you settled in?" My answer to that question (on which I had no rehearsed response) was as follows: "Well, when I'm out in public, I don't feel like people are staring, pointing, and snickering at me thinking, 'That guy is from out of town.' So that is a good feeling."
Reflecting upon that conversation I wondered if it is a common thing to walk the streets of a new place in constant paranoia. I'd like to think it's not that common, but I also like to make excuses as to why I'm special (Did I ever mention that I'm left handed?).
Regardless, actually settling into a place is a blessing and a curse. Sure, I may be able to tell you where the closest gas station is, or where you can find some decent food, but I can no longer say, "Sorry, I can't help you. I just moved here." And let's be honest, pleading ignorance is just easier.

Til Next Time

States: 24
Countries: 5

P.S. For those of you who were concerned, I have good news. British Airways finally located my bag and delivered it to my door. The bad news is that I evidently forgot a pair of shoes in India. So now I have two choices: go back and get them (they could be any number of places) or buy a new pair. I'll get to packing.

This Post For Those With Limited Attention Spans:
I'm not that new, but still new enough.
I meet new people from time to time.
I was paranoid for a while.
Ignorance is bliss.

No comments: