Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Don't Mind Being By Myself...But This is Ridiculous!

I've gotten used to doing things by myself. I don't hesitate to go out to dinner and request a table for one and I don't flinch at going to the cinema alone (it's a lot easier to find a single seat in a crowded theater that way). Last night I went to watch Persepolis, an animated movie playing in an art house theater animated for art house crowds and I found my seat 10 minutes before the lights dimmed. It was easier than normal to find an empty seat this time as it seemed I would be the only patron enjoying this fine film. That's right, my solitude had reached new heights.
I watched the minutes count down to show time. The trivia slides had gone through their third cycle, and still I am by myself. My phone reads 1 minute left, and the same stifling silence. And just as the first commercial began to air I heard the welcome voices of my fellow man (women actually). They sat a few rows behind me seemingly excited about the upcoming picture. During the previews they discussed what they'd like to see and with whom, or what they didn't care to see and why not. So, it was me and two middle aged women watching Persepolis and they loved their popcorn. They really knew how to rustle the bag down to the last kernel. I wouldn't classify their eating style as...shy. No, they were quite bold about it actually. Quite loud. But then again, I was at the movies.

Til Next Time.

P.S. I had my hair cut this afternoon (or as my grandfather used to say, "had my ears lowered") which was an all around pleasant experience, except the hairstylist's hands smelled like onions. She must have had an onion laced sandwich for lunch.

No comments: