Monday, February 11, 2008

So You Want Celebrities...Well, I Got the Next Best Thing

There is a friend of mine from Chicago in town. She is here on business. Her business provides her with luxurious hotels and drink. Last night she invited me to join her and her coworkers to have said drink in the lobby of said luxurious hotel. Last night was also the annual ceremony celebrating achievements in the music industry...aka "The Grammys."
So, given my position in a fancy schmancy hotel in Santa Monica sipping on fancy schmancy drinks, I was able to view the music elite. That was the theory anyway.
Sure, I saw a lot of gentlemen in tuxedos, a lot of women in gowns, a few looks of defeat, and a couple joyous celebrations, but I saw no trophies, no speeches, and certainly nobody I would consider a celebrity. Now, I pose you a question, "What good is living in or around Los Angeles if you can't see the people of which the entire world is envious?"
All I want is to see somebody who is super famous so I can say, "I totally saw Brendan Fraser yesterday. We hung out a little from across the room. His kids are totally fine. They are growing up so fast! I told him I didn't have any and he told me I should think about having some. So I'm thinking about it. He seems to know what he's talking about. I mean, he's Brendan Fraser. Then we totally did our secret handshake (I point at him, he ignores me, I pull the point back into a fist and I pump it ever so slightly). No big deal. It's hardly even worth mentioning. Next time I'll totally tell him you said "Hello."
But that didn't happen...not yet anyway.

Til next time.

P.S. So far, Hermosa Beach California is 0 for 2 on Mexican food. I'll let you know when I find a good place. Interestingly enough though, it is also 1 for 1 in Cajun cuisine.

1 comment:

Allison Bazarko Kirk said...

Jeff, I think the lack of decent Mexican food scans the entire west coast from top to bottom. It's taken us 6 months to find some Mexican food in Seattle that we consider to be worth our money. Thankfully, it's the place that opened right down the street. Yes lord!

Oh, and tell Brendan I'll call him back when I get a chance.